Danny Ings scored twice as Southampton piled the rigidity on struggling Watford with a 3-1 victory at Vicarage Boulevard on Sunday.
Ings registered his 20th purpose of the season with a extraordinary solo effort on 16 minutes and capitalised on Ben Foster’s wretched clearance with his 21st of the campaign 20 minutes from time.
- £18 Premier League and Football channel offer
- Premier League table | Fixtures | Continue to exist Sky
- How the teams lined up | Match stats
Watford had been handed a lifeline on 79 minutes when Southampton defender Jan Bednarek place through his own obtain, nonetheless the Hornets’ hopes had been extinguished three minutes later by James Ward-Prowse’s spectacular free-kick.
A club-narrative eighth top-flight away spend of the season lifts Southampton as a lot as 13th and sees Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side attain the coveted 40-point sign, while Watford reside factual a solitary point obvious of the relegation zone in 16th having played a sport larger than West Ham and Bournemouth.
- Premier League restart: The are residing games on Sky Sports actions
- NOW TV Sky Sports actions Month Pass for £25 a month
More to coach…
Man of the Match – Danny Ings
Sky Sports actions’ Alan Smith: “All in Southampton shirts are as a minimum an eight out of 10 nonetheless Ings has practically been a 10. He’s been extraordinary. No wonder he is smiling at the end of the game. He’s drained nonetheless he is loved it available. The entirety he is performed has shone with quality.”
Finest Jamie Vardy (19) has now scored more Premier League targets this season than the Southampton striker (18).
He has been at once concerned with 12 targets in his closing 11 away Premier League starts for Southampton (10 targets, 2 assists) – no participant has more away Premier League targets this season than Ings’ tally of 10.
And finally, he is the first Southampton participant to attain double figures for targets a long way from home in a single Premier League season since Matt Le Tissier in 1993/94 (12).
Opta stats – Memoir breaking Saints spend on the road over again
- Southampton have won eight away league fits this season – the most they’ve ever won a long way from home in a top-flight campaign.
- Watford have won factual one among their closing 10 Premier League fits (W1 D3 L6), a 3-0 spend over champions Liverpool in February.
- Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster made his 100th consecutive Premier League begin, becoming the 19th participant to manufacture so. Outmoded 37 years and 86 days, he is the oldest participant to manufacture this feat (fixed with their age in the 100th consecutive begin).
- For the reason that Premier League resumed this month, no longer one among the teams currently in the underside 5 of the league have won a sport – from 13 games mixed, these 5 teams have won factual three aspects (P13 W0 D3 L10).
- Finest Matt Le Tissier (7) has scored more negate free-kick targets for Southampton in the Premier League than James Ward-Prowse (6), who has scored one in each and every conferences with Watford this season.
Saturday 4th July 7: 45pm
Watford now dart to Champions League-chasing Chelsea on Saturday, July 4 at 8pm, are residing on Sky Sports actions. Southampton host Manchester City on Sunday, July 5 at 7pm.